Summary of report content
Healthwatch Kent spoke to carers to find out what happened when the person they look after was discharged from hospital in Kent. Their key findings include:
- There is poor communication between hospital and carers
- Carers are not always involved in the patient’s care and they also struggle to access social care and mobility equipment
- Many carers do not receive guidance or information about providing patient with ongoing care at home
- Medication can be unavailable, not ready at point of discharge or often incorrect
- Carers would like to feel acknowledged, included and asked how they were coping
Healthwatch Kent have made three recommendations:
- All Kent NHS Trusts to host accurate, up-to-date information on their websites which people who find themselves as carers can access easily and understand what support is available and where to get it.
- Hospital discharge areas to have up-to-date and accurate leaflets & posters with information on carer support services including accessing social care, mobility equipment and emotional support services.
- Healthwatch Kent will share some good practices they have heard of, so that everyone can learn and benefit from it.
Would you like to look at:
What happens when the person you care for is discharged from hospital
Date of publication
Tuesday, 19 April, 2022
Date evidence capture began
Friday, 13 May, 2022
Date evidence capture finished
Friday, 13 May, 2022
Communication between staff and patients
Continuity of care
Lifestyle and wellbeing
Quality of care
Other information of note about this report
Was the work undertaken at the request of another organisation?
What type of organisation requested the work
Primary research method used
If an Enter and View methodology was applied, was the visit announced or unannounced?
Secondary care services
Number of people who shared their views
Does the information include public's views?
Does the information include carer's, friend's or relative's views?
Does the information include staff's views?
Types of health and care professionals engaged
What was the main sentiment of the people who shared their views?
Were recommendations made by local Healthwatch in the report?
Does the information contain a response from a provider?
Is there evidence of impact in the report?
Is there evidence of impact external to the report?