- About us
- Our principles
- What we have to say
- Find your Healthwatch
- Get Involved
This Privacy Statement sets out the data processing practices carried out by Healthwatch England. We retain and use personal data (information that relates to and identifies living people) to help us carry out our role as the national independent champion for people who use health and social care services.
We will always make sure that your personal data is protected and treated securely. Any information that you give will be held in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
We also make our Information Asset Register available for people to read to give further clarity about how data relating to them is managed and kept secure. This includes our retention schedule and clear details about the lawful basis for storing and keeping personal data.
Information we collect
We collect personal data from visitors to this website through the use of online forms and every time you email us your details. We also collect feedback and views from people about the health and social care services that they access. In addition, we receive information about our own staff and people who apply to work for us.
- Information about people who use our website
- Information about people who share their experiences with us by other means
- Information about our own staff and people applying to work for us
We are strongly committed to data security and we take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, loss, misuse, alteration or corruption.
We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information you provide to us.
Only authorised employees and contractors under strict controls will have access to your personal data.
How we share information with other organisations
We only share personal data with other organisations where it is lawful to so and in accordance with our Information Governance Policy. Information is shared in order to fulfil our remit which is to pass on your experiences of care to help improve them on your behalf.
Among others we work with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), health and social care commissioners, NHS England, NHS Improvement and the Department of Health and Social Care to make this happen. We can also engage external suppliers to process personal data on our behalf.
We will only disclose your personal data where we have your consent to do so, or where there is another very good reason to make the disclosure – for example, we may disclose information to CQC or a local authority where we think it is necessary to do so in order to protect a vulnerable person from abuse or harm. Any such disclosure will be made in accordance with the requirements of the current data protection legislation.
Wherever possible, we will ensure that any information that we share or disclose is anonymised, so as to ensure that you cannot be identified from it.
We sometimes use other organisations to process personal data on our behalf. Where we do this, those companies are required to follow the same rules and information security requirements as us, outlined in a Data Processing Agreement. They are not permitted to use reuse the data for other purposes.
Retention and disposal of personal data
We publish a retention and disposal schedule which explains how long we keep different types of records and documents for, including records and documents containing personal data. Personal data is deleted or securely destroyed at the end of its retention period.
- Your right to access information about you - If you think we may hold personal data relating to you and want to see it please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Healthwatch England, National Customer Service Centre, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4PA.
You have a right to receive a copy of this personal data, or to ask us to forward it to a person or organisation of your choice. Wherever possible, we will provide the personal data to you in your preferred format.
- Correcting or deleting your personal data - If you know that we are holding your personal data and believe that it may be wrong, or if you want it to be deleted or for us to stop using it, you have a right to request that it can be deleted or amended. Please make your objection in writing to email@example.com, or send it by post to Healthwatch England, National Customer Service Centre, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4PA
- Complaints about how we look after or use your information - If you feel that we have not met our responsibilities under data protection legislation, you have a right to request an independent assessment from the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can find details on their website.
Our contact details and key roles
Healthwatch England is an independent consumer champion and is a statutory committee of the Care Quality Commission. The data controller of personal data collected via this website is the Care Quality Commission. Any issues relating to the processing of personal data by or on behalf of Healthwatch England may be addressed to Healthwatch England, National Customer Service Centre, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4PA.
Call us on 03000 683 000 between the hours of 08:30 – 17:30 Monday to Friday. Alternatively you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nimali De Silva is the designated Data Protection Officer for Healthwatch England under Article 37 of the GDPR. She can be contacted using the details above. CQC’s privacy statement is available here.