Summary of report content
In April 2021, Healthwatch Barnet attended a forum with the Jewish Deaf Association to discuss Barnet residents’ health and social care priorities and issues. The Barnet residents discussed the issues they have been having with GP surgeries, and, as a result of our discussions, they conducted a focus group with deaf residents to gather in-depth qualitative data on their experiences with GP surgeries. Their feedback has been broken down into 5 themes.
- Lack of provision for qualified interpreters and over-reliance on family/friends
- GP staff not having deaf awareness training
- The impact on deaf patients' wellbeing
- Accessible written information
- Issues with access to GP surgery buildings
The report contains 4 recommendations to improve access to GP services for deaf people.