NHS Dentistry in North Yorkshire: a review of public feedback 2020-21Download (PDF 7.39MB)
Summary of report content
Healthwatch North Yorkshire undertook an analysis of the themes in feedback they’d received about dentistry during the period 15 May 2020 to 14 May 2021. During this period they received 176 pieces of feedback. They also contacted all the dental practices that are listed on NHS Choices.
- There are only 77 NHS dental practices in the area.
- It isn’t clear which practices listed on NHS Choices are providing NHS treatment.
- Over seven in ten people wanted help finding a dental practice that provided NHS care
- Only two practices would take on new adult patients for NHS treatment
- Waiting lists for NHS dentistry can be as long as three years
- The cost of private treatment is too expensive for those who can’t access NHS dentistry and as a result they can’t get treatment
- Feedback about NHS dentistry is overwhelmingly negative
- Waiting times for regular appointments have been exacerbated by the pandemic when practices had to close.
The report contains six recommendations about improving access to NHS dentistry.