Summary of report content
Healthwatch Leicester and Leicestershire undertook a research project on hospital discharge in October 2020 to follow up visits to the discharge lounges at local hospitals in July 2019. They undertook interviews with 23 people between 29 October and 9 November 2020 to understand how the discharge process worked.
The report compares the findings from the 2020 research with that in 2019. Compared to 2019, in 2020:
- More patients were involved in their discharge planning and felt they had been part of the discussion
- All patients had had various discussions with health and social care professionals about their discharge
- Most patients felt that the discharge process had been well organised and planned
- Almost all patients felt there were no barriers in the planning of their discharge
- Some patients still experienced delays in being discharged
- Most patients felt confident about going home.
There were three recommendations aimed at improving the discharge process.