COVID-19: Health and social care experiences in Newcastle and Gateshead - JulyDownload (PDF 774KB)
Summary of report content
Healthwatch Gateshead and Healthwatch Newcastle reported on the final results of a survey that ran from May to July 2020. The survey was launched online, and phone calls were offered to people without internet access to ensure they could also complete the survey via phone. Healthwatch Gateshead and Healthwatch Newcastle found the following themes:
- Services had proven very capable of quickly and effectively changing and adapting to the pandemic and the needs of the population.
- People were generally happy and accepting of the changes they experienced and felt it had been well organised and coordinated. The survey findings suggested that respondents were happy with remote consultations, either online or via the telephone.
- People were generally satisfied with the changes they experienced at their GP or pharmacy in accessing their medication.
- People were experiencing difficulties maintaining their physical and/or mental health.
- People had concerns about access to dentists and opticians.
- Many respondents had experienced cancellation of an appointment(s), but did not seem to be dissatisfied with this.