Summary of report content
Healthwatch Surrey report on the feedback they have received about the care of people who have had a miscarriage in response to the Lancet publishing a series of papers reviewing this topic and calling for reform.
They identified the following issues:
- The need for mental health support
- People not feeling adequately supported after a miscarriage
- The impact of good support
- The need for commemorative certification for parents who lose a baby before 24 weeks of pregnancy
- The need for sensitive and appropriate communication and care from healthcare professionals
The report makes three recommendations about access to mental health support, commemorative certification and training for staff.