Southampton, Hampshire, Isle of Wight & Portsmouth Local Maternity SystemDownload (PDF 689KB)
Summary of report content
In 2017 midwives and service managers from hospitals within Southampton, Hampshire, Isle of Wight & Portsmouth Local Maternity System (SHIP LMS) worked together with Wessex Voices (Healthwatch Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton) to develop a survey which would help capture the experiences of local women and their families when using local maternity services. The report was published in January 2018, providing 9 key recommendations to maternity services across SHIP.
Feedback showed that women within SHIP had positive experiences of their care, however there were clear areas where improvements could be made. Women in SHIP told us they wanted:
- Clear & easy access to information & support
- Clear communication at referral
- Improved communication with consistent and easy to understand terminology
- More information at discharge
- Consistency of midwives
- Better management of expectations
- Improved breastfeeding support
- Improved diagnosis & treatment of tongue tie
- Free ante-natal classes for all
This report responds to the Maternity Matters recommendations provided in January 2018, and provides an update on our progress. We are also working towards the ambitions of The National Maternity Review (Better Births). A link for this can be found on the last page of this report.