Summary of report content
This evaluation was carried out to explore the current situation for children and young people (CYP) and parents seeking early intervention. The focus was on CYP’s experience of mental health help through their secondary schools, their access to other services outside school, and how they would like these services delivered in the future. This report contains both quantitative and qualitative findings, from an online survey. 122 people took part.
- There is an awareness of mental health issues with students, and parents prepared to seek support.
- A holistic approach is preferred with help and support being across a range of sources.
- An informal, and local approach is preferred.
- Signposting needs to be clearer so that students and parents know where to start and what services are out there.
- Professional capacity was citied a concern, as was the need for an embedded ethos around MH (Mental Health) support in the school.
As the academic year progressed the Covid –19 situation meant that schools were in a state of flux with students coming in and out of lockdown. Healthwatch North Somerset modified their approach by using online surveys and telephone work.
Healthwatch North Somerset make five recommendations in this report. The report contains a response from several stakeholders.