Summary of report content
Working in partnership with the Patient Experience team at Queen’s Hospital, part of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University NHS Trust (BHRUT); Healthwatch Redbridge were invited to visit a number of departments around the Hospital to review how well they were meeting the communication and support needs of patients and carers in August 2019.
Visits were conducted across three hospital departments (Audiology, Eye Clinic, and the Urgent Treatment Centre/Emergency Department), and one ward (Amber A). The aim was to identify how Queen’s Hospital were meeting the standard and assess whether the needs of people with communication impairments were being fully met.
The report looks at:
- Transport access including public transport and disabled parking spaces
- The availability of working hearing loops
- Signage about the deaf messaging service
- Signage and support to get around the hospital
- Information about support with communication
- Staff awareness of the Accessible Information Standard.
The report includes a number of recommendations and a detailed response to each by the provider.