Summary of report content
Volunteers at Healthwatch Halton undertook a review of the information on 14 local GP websites as they had heard that the information on GP websites was sometimes not comprehensive. They wanted to know how easy it would be to find current information on GP surgery websites, how to access GP services, receive the latest information on making appointments and how to keep safe and well during the pandemic.
- All websites clearly displayed opening times
- It was easy to find out how to make an appointment on all websites
- Half of GP practice websites checked did not have a Covid-19 pop up screen with the latest guidance for the public
- Two practice sites offered no alternative language options on their websites. On sites which did offer different languages it ranged in number from just two alternative languages up to more than 100
- Volunteers felt it was often a game of hide and seek as to where information would be displayed
- Just 2 websites had any information/advice available for cancer patients on potential changes in their cancer care or treatment due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Just 2 sites offered any information or links to local cancer support organisations
- None of the websites checked detailed specifically how homeless people could register with a practice
- Only 2 websites had information on both Healthwatch and the Healthwatch Advocacy service. Both of these had incorrect contact details on the Advocacy service. Volunteers found it difficult to easily find information regarding Healthwatch or the Complaints advocacy service
- Seven of the 14 websites did not clearly describe care navigation or its role
- Just 6 out of the 14 websites clearly explained their practice boundaries
- All websites requested some form of ID information for patients to be registered
- None of the websites checked provided information on the Primary Care Networks
The report contains nine recommendations about the need for accurate and up to date information, including about patient registration, information in different languages, links to self-care, complaints, PPG, Healthwatch and patient advocacy and online triage systems.