Summary of report content
This report summarises the feedback HW Tameside have received since the beginning of lockdown in March 2020 up to March 2021.
In total, 108 people spoke to HW Tameside about dentistry in this period.
Key issues include:
- Cancellation of appointments
- Being unable to access an NHS dentist during the pandemic
- Backlogs of patients as dentists re-open
There were positive experiences reported as well.
Actions from HW Tameside:
- Healthwatch Tameside raised concerns at the August meeting of the Quality Performance and Assurance Group (QPAG). The Director of Quality and Safeguarding said they would raise the matter at Greater Manchester meetings.
- Healthwatch Tameside highlighted and updated on the issues at the September and October meetings of the Primary Care Delivery and Improvement Group (PCDIG). The Head of Primary Care said they would raise at Greater Manchester meetings.
- Healthwatch Tameside has repeatedly called dentists to obtain up-to-date information for people in the local area about which dentists are open and accepting patients.
- Since September, HW Tameside have sent emails to NHS England have requested information about what is happening with NHS dental care, due to our concerns.
- Healthwatch England are collating data at a national level, as this is a national issue. Healthwatch Tameside have provided any information requested, to add to this overall picture.