Summary of report content
Healthwatch Halton undertook a project focused on maternity services and the experiences of women from Halton who have given birth in the past 12 -18 months. They wanted to understand the information and support that women were given before, during and after the births of their babies. They spoke to 142 mothers altogether.
- Half were first time mums
- 84 births occurred after the start of the Covid-19 pandemic
- Nearly nine in ten women had downloaded maternity related apps
- Almost a third felt appointments weren’t at convenient times
- Nearly half had seen 4 or more midwives during their pregnancy
- Over three quarters felt health professionals were supportive
- Seven in ten partners couldn’t attend ante-natal appointments due to Covid restrictions
- Over a quarter didn’t feel listened to when raising a concern during labour and birth
There were ten recommendations to improve maternity care.