Summary of report content
Healthwatch Leeds undertook a project to hear from the residents of Gipton and Harehills, the second most deprived ward in the city, to inform a strategic, community led response to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic locally. It took place from February to June 2021. They spoke to 222 people in total.
- People will need time and support to recover from a year of mixed messages about COVID.
- Everyone’s COVID experience has been unique.
- Community is a source of both tension and loyalty.
- Gipton and Harehills are felt to be held back by stigma.
- Nature and the environment have the potential to enhance lives.
- Better services around crime, transport and rents make for a better life.
There were 6 recommendations addressing the findings of the report.