Summary of report content
Healthwatch North Somerset heard from 64 unpaid carers through focus groups and telephone interviews. This researched aimed to inform North Somerset Council’s upcoming Carers Strategy.
Key themes that arose from this research were:
- Communication – carers felt overlooked, and want their voices to be heard when stakeholders make policy changes
- Support – carers felt that there was a lack of ongoing support, to help with issues as they arise.
- Assessments – carers said that assessment forms are long and complex, and requested more support completing these
- Sign posting – parent carers said it was not easy to find out about appropriate services and support. All carers said services are not joined up, and often duplicate information
- Respite - Carers access to respite has been limited during Covid and very difficult to access for those with Dementia. Day care services are not operating normally due to Covid.
Healthwatch North Somerset made 13 recommendations in this report.