Summary of report content
Healthwatch Brighton & Hove reports on the outcomes from its Hospital Discharge wellbeing project, which started early in April 2020 as part of the response to COVID 19. The service is offered to anyone discharged from hospital - not just those with the virus- or virus-related conditions.
Between 7 April and 14 September:
- 1,424 people have been referred to the project
- Healthwatch made 1,152 attempted contacts, of which 704 were successful .
Of those people helped:
- 59% were female and 40% male.
- 45% had a long term condition or disability lasting more than 12 months
- 18% had been identified by the NHS as extremely vulnerable
- A quarter were unpaid carers
Over four in five people had not received a leaflet explaining they would be receiving a call from Healthwatch before being discharged from Hospital.
Healthwatch gave these people a range of help and support, including food and supplies, safeguarding concerns and extra communication support.
The report concludes with an assessment of the impact of the service on its recipients.