Healthwatch Cheshire Citizens Focus Panel: Survey 6 Mental Health

Download (PDF 396KB)

Summary of report content

Healthwatch Cheshire East and Healthwatch Cheshire West designed a survey investigating the effect of the pandemic on people’s mental health.

56 people took the time to share their feedback and experiences.

Most respondents said they relied on their friends and family to manage their mental health. Many people said they would like to see easier access to counselling sessions and longer courses available for those who need it, in addition to more mental health support at a community-based level.

34% of respondents rated their mental health as generally very good, whilst 25% of total respondents said their mental health has got significantly worse during the pandemic and 59% said their mental health has stayed the same. Individuals shared that they feel their mental health impacts their life regarding sleeping, socialising, concentration, working and confidence.

Respondents were asked how they feel the COVID-19 pandemic is currently affecting their mental health and wellbeing. 23 respondents said that they worry about the health of their friends and family, 18 respondents worry about their own health and 17 respondents are concerned about the effects of new COVID variants.

25 respondents have received an official mental health diagnosis. The majority of these people received their diagnosis over a year ago. Individuals shared that they would like to see their GPs face-to-face and that there is concern that medications are overprescribed rather than offering signposting to support groups.

Would you like to look at:

General details

Report title 
Healthwatch Cheshire Citizens Focus Panel: Survey 6 Mental Health
Local Healthwatch 
Healthwatch Cheshire East
Healthwatch Cheshire West and Chester
Date of publication 
Wednesday, 30 March, 2022
Date evidence capture began 
Saturday, 1 January, 2022
Date evidence capture finished 
Monday, 31 January, 2022
Key themes 
Access
Communication between staff and patients
Cost of services
Diagnosis
Digitalisation of services
Lifestyle and wellbeing
Medication
Quality of care
Service delivery organisation and staffing
Waiting times and lists for treatment

Methodology and approach

Was the work undertaken at the request of another organisation? 
No
Primary research method used 
Survey

Details of health and care services included in the report

Primary care services 
GP practice
Mental health services 
Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)
Community mental health team (CMHT)
Psychiatry / mental health (other services)

Details of people who shared their views

Number of people who shared their views 
56
Does the information include public's views? 
Yes
Does the information include carer's, friend's or relative's views? 
Yes
Does the information include staff's views? 
No
What was the main sentiment of the people who shared their views? 
Mixed

Outcomes and impact

Were recommendations made by local Healthwatch in the report? 
No

Network Impact
Relationships that exist locally, regionally, nationally have benefited from the work undertaken in the report
 
Implied Impact
Where it is implied that change may occur in the future as a result of Healthwatch work. This can be implied in a provider  response, press release or other source. Implied impact can become tangible impact once change has occurred.
 
Tangible Impact
There is evidence of change that can be directly attributed to Healthwatch work undertaken in the report.