Summary of report content
10 June 2019. This is a 16-bed female acute psychiatric ward. Healthwatch talked to 7 staff and 4 patients.
- On observation, patient – staff relationships appeared good
- Patient feedback on ward activities and staff engagement was very positive. Once settled and orientated patients appeared positive about Wintle and felt safe there.
- Healthwatch heard from patients that the cook-chill food is not popular, and staff report below standard customer service from the catering supplier
- Wintle is a ward that has good staff retention and is led by a dedicated and supportive manager, but the lack of a full-time Modern Matron has a significant impact on other staff.
- With some additional touches, the ward environment could feel more homely
- Staff clearly recognized the value and importance of involving carers
There were 7 recommendations about staffing, décor and provision of information.
The report includes a response from the provider to the recommendations.