Summary of report content
Healthwatch Oxfordshire undertook an enter and view visit to the Vaughan Williams ward of Warneford Hospital on 26 June and 22 July 2019. This is an 18-bed ward for adult males experiencing acute mental illness. On their visits, they spoke to seven staff and 3 patients.
- On observation, patient – staff relationships were extremely good and appeared to be on a very equal footing
- Vaughan Thomas ward is demonstrating areas of excellent practice with their psycho-social interventions (PSI) group and patient monitoring system
- Time and consideration had clearly gone into making the environment feel relaxed and homely
- There was evidence of a strong staff ethos of patient-centred care
- There were great examples of involving and supporting family members
- Low staffing numbers is impacting staff morale
There were 9 recommendations covering issues such as facilities, information and activities.
The report includes a response from the provider detailing action to be taken on each of the recommendations.