Summary of report content
Healthwatch Salford carried out an Enter and View visit to Oaklands Hospital, a purpose built, modern hospital providing a wide range of surgical and medical treatments to private patients and eligible NHS patients. The hospital has 17 inpatient beds. This visit was carried out in order to:
- Engage with patients and healthcare service users, and understand how dignity is being respected in a healthcare environment.
- Identify examples of good working practice.
- Observe patients and relatives engaging with the staff and their surroundings and to experience the healthcare setting using the 3 primary senses of sight, sound and smell.
- Capture the experience of patients and relatives and any ideas they may have for change.
A recent CQC report on the hospital had rated it as 'good' overall but a question was raised relating to the safety of the service. The hospital manager contacted Healthwatch Salford to request an Enter and View visit as part of a drive to improve patient engagement.
The Enter and View team found that the overwhelming impression was of a clean, welcoming and pleasant environment that catered well for its patients. Oaklands Hospital seemed to offer care to a very high standard and was reported to be clean and comfortable, with a caring ethos, by patients and the family member spoken to. Staff appeared to be happy in their work and empowered to raise any necessary changes. The service provided appeared to be efficient and streamlined.
Based on these findings, Healthwatch Salford made three minor recommendations, for Oaklands Hospital to:
- Follow up on a patient comment about food on arrival – make sure that there are procedures in place to either provide food on arrival or explain clearly why this is not clinically appropriate.
- Ensure that hand sanitising facilities for staff, patients and visitors are clearly labelled and maintained at strategic points throughout the site.
- Provide staff training in the Accessible Information Standard so that they recognise the reason for maintaining accurate records.
The report includes a positive response from the service provider.