Summary of report content
Healthwatch Telford & Wrekin undertook an Enter and View visit to Birkdale Residential Care home as part of a series of engagements with local care homes. At their visit they spoke to 8 residents, 3 relatives and visitors and 3 staff.
- People were offered choices.
- People felt all staff were nice, friendly and relaxed.
- Staff were doing their best.
- Management were supportive to residents and relatives.
- Staff felt supported by management.
- Relatives felt supported and could talk to any staff in the Home. • Staff got to know residents well in order to provide them with the right support.
- Staff communicated well with residents and relatives.
- The home uses symbols for doors but adding pictures would make things clearer.
- Some areas of the Home needed maintenance, specifically around flooring & carpets in some areas to ensure they were dementia friendly. The Home also needed decorating and freshening up.
- The lift was very small and some larger wheelchairs (such as electric) would not be able to access the second floor.
- Continue with good interactions with residents and relatives.
- More notices for CCTV to be made available around the home.
- Explore options to mitigate the problem with the lip on entrance door.
- Consider introducing an Activity Board or booklet to advertise what the Home offered.
- Implement a programme for maintenance and improvement of the décor of the home.
- Make all staff call points accessible.