Summary of report content
Healthwatch Bath and North East Somerset wrote a briefing on their feedback on access to NHS dentistry. The main issues raised were:
- Not being able to find an NHS dentist who will treat people
- Not being able to get treatment when in pain
- Dentists will only treat children as NHS patients if their parents sign up as private patients
- Very high cost of private dentistry.
Their volunteers also contacted 46 dental services across Bath and North East Somerset:
Two dental practices have closed
- Only two dental services are taking on children and young people as NHS patients
- Of the 19 dental practices who say they have both NHS and private patients, no services are taking adults as NHS patients
- 24 practices are providing routine appointments for patients
- 26 practices have websites and only five dental practices offer booking online appointments for patients through their website
- 20 practices have email, with three practices offering online booking forms
The report has two recommendations about information on dentists websites about whether they are taking on NHS patients and the cost of NHS treatment.