Summary of report content
Healthwatch Cambridgeshire and Healthwatch Peterborough invited people from across the area to complete a survey to find out the impact of service changes on their health and care. The survey asked about:
- Health and care services they had experienced
- Information they needed to stay safe and well
- Help and support they had received.
- Any messages for local NHS and care staff and other key-workers.
Key findings included:
- Overwhelming support for NHS staff, care and other keyworkers.
- Mixed experiences of the changes to health services.
- Cancelled services and procedures led to uncertainty; people wanted better communication about their care.
- People were worried that delays would affect the progress of their illness and prognosis.
- Some people put off seeking help for their health because they feared catching COVID-19, did not want to bother staff, or thought the service they needed would be unavailable.
- People increasingly turned to their family, friends, neighbours and local communities for both practical and emotional support as other services shut down.
- Three quarters of the people who responded said their mental health or wellbeing had been affected in some way.
- 77% people were able to access information about keeping safe during the pandemic relatively easily; however some had little or no information about services available to them, and others found the information unclear.
Would you like to look at:
COVID-19 briefing 1
Date of publication
Thursday, 15 October, 2020
Date evidence capture began
Thursday, 28 May, 2020
Date evidence capture finished
Wednesday, 10 June, 2020
Type of report
Lifestyle and wellbeing
Quality of care
Service delivery organisation and staffing
Waiting times and lists for treatment
Healthwatch reference number
Was the work undertaken at the request of another organisation?
Primary research method used
How was the information collected?
If an Enter and View methodology was applied, was the visit announced or unannounced?
Primary care services
Mental health services
Community mental health team (CMHT)
Urgent and emergency care services
Accident & emergency
Number of people who shared their views
Specific ethnicity if known
Does the information include public's views?
Does the information include carer's, friend's or relative's views?
Does the information include staff's views?
Types of health and care professionals engaged
Does the information include other people's views?
What was the main sentiment of the people who shared their views?
Were recommendations made by local Healthwatch in the report?
Does the information contain a response from a provider?
Is there evidence of impact in the report?
Is there evidence of impact external to the report?