Access to health and social care services in Sheffield - Key issues from October 2021Download (PDF 633KB)
Summary of report content
This report summarises what Healthwatch Sheffield have heard during the month of October 2021 about accessing health and social care services in Sheffield.
- They mostly heard positive feedback about patients’ experiences with their GP and staff in the Northern General Hospital and Royal Hallamshire Hospital.
- Some said that their GP practices are busy, but they are still getting the right support, and that staff are friendly and helpful. Similarly, people found that although the Emergency Department at the Northern General Hospital was really busy, they still felt cared for and supported.
- Some people struggled to book timely appointments with their GP and access repeat prescriptions. Others commented about the impact of delayed appointments following COVID-19, including very long waits for scans.
- People also commented on the lack of staff awareness on how to support people with different types of disabilities. They felt that more training in these areas would mean staff could better understand patients who have these needs and would be able to provide more suitable support.
- Healthwatch reported that they are still hearing from people who can’t access a dentist for a routine appointment. People aren’t clear what is classed as urgent dental treatment, and what is considered routine. They want better communication about what treatment they should be able to access.
- People have found it difficult to get through to the community mental health services and lack of communication from staff.
Would you like to look at:
Access to health and social care services in Sheffield - Key issues from October 2021
Date of publication
Friday, 10 December, 2021
Date evidence capture began
Friday, 1 October, 2021
Date evidence capture finished
Sunday, 31 October, 2021
Communication between staff and patients
Quality of appointment
Quality of care
Was the work undertaken at the request of another organisation?
What type of organisation requested the work
If this work has been done in partnership, who is the partner?
Primary research method used
If an Enter and View methodology was applied, was the visit announced or unannounced?
Primary care services
Secondary care services
Mental health services
Community mental health team (CMHT)
Community based services for people with mental health needs
Urgent and emergency care services
Accident & emergency
Number of people who shared their views
Does the information include public's views?
Does the information include carer's, friend's or relative's views?
Does the information include staff's views?
Types of health and care professionals engaged
What was the main sentiment of the people who shared their views?
Were recommendations made by local Healthwatch in the report?
Does the information contain a response from a provider?
Is there evidence of impact in the report?
Is there evidence of impact external to the report?