Supporting local Healthwatch
To provide leadership, support and advice to local Healthwatch to be a powerful advocate for services that work for people.
What are our objectives?
To understand and respond to the network’s support needs.
- To support the network to engage their communities and encourage greater use of the views people share to drive improvements to care.
- To help local Healthwatch comply with legislation.
- To support the network to be sustainable.
What do we plan to do?
Share an analysis of the Healthwatch network’s operating models and continue to monitor local Healthwatch funding.
- Deliver a programme of support to help local Healthwatch:
- Share best practice and learn from one another.
- Provide an effective information and signposting service to the public.
- Engage their communities, involve them in reforms such as Sustainability and Transformation Plans and communicate people’s views of care.
- Improve the quality and use of the evidence they gather.
- Recruit and manage their volunteers.
- Comply with legislation covering the management of personal information, as well as equalities and human rights.
- Strengthen relationships with key partners, including local authorities, the third sector, the NHS and CQC.
- Build their capacity to carry out their work.
- Continue to develop the digital systems that enable local Healthwatch to engage the public and share information with us and each other.
- Establish a common way for the network to understand and demonstrate the impact of their work.
What will be the impact?
We will know the strengths and capacity of the network and where further help is needed.
- Our support will enable local Healthwatch to improve the quality of their service.
- The public will better understand the role of local Healthwatch and engagement will increase.
- The relationship between local Healthwatch and health and care decision makers will be stronger.
- Awareness of the evidence that the network gathers and its impact on care services will increase.