How to make a complaint about your dental treatment

Have you had a bad experience of visiting a dentist? Find out how to make a complaint with our online tool.
Patient examined at dentist

How to make a complaint about your dental treatment

We know that trying to make a complaint can be confusing. To help you understand how you can complain about your experience visiting a dentist, we have developed an online tool to guide you through the process.

Try the online tool

Don't forget

If you think that the problem is so serious that the dental professional could be a risk to other patients, you should contact the General Dental Council, which regulate dental professionals in the UK.

If the problem is so serious that you think the care provided at the practice could be a risk to other patients, the Care Quality Commission would like to know about it. They cannot investigate individual complaints, but use information when they inspect services to make sure that they are meeting quality and safety standards.

If you have been unable to find an NHS dentist or your usual NHS dentist is unable to see you:

NHS Choices lists local dentists who provide NHS services. If you’ve tried to find an NHS dentist and been unable to, contact NHS England or your local Healthwatch.

Where to get help:

If you want further advice, you can contact local Healthwatch for information about how to make a complaint about NHS dental services.

Citizens Advice also provide information and advice about complaints.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information